Monday, July 19, 2010

Review: Joseph and The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat

Any dream will do..

As a believer in dreams this sentiment has always agreed with me. Enough that it chokes me up a bit when ever I hear the opening to “Joseph and The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat” because I know what is to come.

Tears? Joseph? What? I know, I don’t get it either. Really Joseph is an energetic romp to tell a biblically story to children with song, bright colours and laughter.

Sure .. a few sad parts.. but tears?

Something about the pure joy that seems to be infused into every part of this show just make the waterworks want to turn on!

I am happy to report I managed to keep a grip on it, mostly for my friend Erin who was at the show with me, if It had been my husband Steve, I might have a different story to tell.

If you can still get tickets for the run of this show I encourage you to do so!

Randy Leslie (Artisic Director & Producer) announced at the beginning of the show that it was 92% sold out! (UPDATE: Only matinee tickets left!!)

Kelowna Actors Studio has tackled Joe before ~ 6 years ago and managed to reunited some of the performers from that run into this one.. Heidi Hewitt returned as the narrator and blew my socks off! I haven’t had the pleasure of seeing her perform before and I hope that I get the opportunity again! Nate Flavel reprised his role as Joesph. Seriously I think I am developing a crush on this guy because he never fails me. Sometimes performers seem the same in every role they play. Not Nate. He is more than a great voice, he can act. (Ok I also think he looks pretty good in this role as well ~ good grief spending most of the time on stage wrapped in nothing but a mini skirt must be intimidating!) Chad Abrahamson returns as the Pharaoh/Simeon. Chad rocked. Elvis impersonators I usually find boring and it’s my least favourite number in the shows I have seen past. Well, not anymore! Well done! Bob Heyworth is back as Jacob/Potiphar and Darren Scuffi as Reuban two more performers that stood out! The last returnee was Cassidy Janzen who was once in the kids ensemble and now as one of Jacob’s wives.. which I am sure caused an explosion of more than a few age spots for some of the former cast!

I would be remiss if I didn’t add two sparkling cows up to the multi talented Norene Morrow! The props on this show were OUTSTANDING!

Really for me.. not a weak moment in the show. (OK. Hump Phrey the camel did almost fall over but I think that was just opening night jitters!) I was carried on a journey that made me want to stand up and sing along ~ Thank your lucky stars that didn’t happen and I left it to an outstandingly talented cast!

This video ISN'T Kelowna Actors Studio! As soon as they have theirs done I promise to post it!






Show Times
Thursday - Sunday evenings:
Dinner - Doors open 6:20 p.m.
Dessert only: Doors open 7:30 p.m.
Show begins: 8 p.m.

Saturday matinee:
Doors open 12:30 p.m.
Show begins: 1:00 p.m.

Single Ticket Pricing
Dinner, Dessert & Theatre Tickets
Thursday, Friday, & Saturday Evenings
$66 Adult
$58 Student/Senior
Sunday Evenings
$62 Adult
$54 Student/Senior

Dessert & Theatre Tickets
Thursday, Friday, & Saturday Evenings
$42 Adult | $36 Student/Senior
Saturday Matinee & Sunday Evenings
$38 Adult | $32 Student/Seniors

www.kelownaactorsstudio.com for more info!

No comments: